January 21, 2019 to January 31, 2019
Price: $1600 includes all meals, travel within Colombia, and accommodations (does not include airfare, which we estimate to be around $800)
Application Deadline: October 31, 2018 (However, please note that we’re accepting applications on a rolling basis, so the sooner you can get your application in the better).
About the Delegation
This delegation to Colombia has several goals:
- To provide accompaniment to our partners in the Iglesia Presbiteriana de Colombia (Presbyterian Church of Colombia) who are taking great risks in their human rights work and their support of the communities of Colombians who have been displaced by the violence of the fifty-year war in their country.
- To learn about the realities of implementing the Peace Accords in Colombia–the challenges, the successes, and how the Presbyterian Church of Colombia is involved
- To become advocates for the Colombia Accompaniment Program and Colombian peacebuilding in the United States upon return
This delegation of 12 people will visit three regions: La Costa (Barranquilla and around), Uraba, and Bogota, providing the opportunity to meet with people who are helping to implement the Peace Accords, hear from people who have been displaced by the violence of the last five decades, and see several different parts of this beautiful country. The delegation will primarily be led by Sarah Henken, PCUSA mission co-worker in Colombia, along with leaders from the IPC.
The delegation will be bilingual with interpretation from Spanish to English, so Spanish skills are not necessary, but it would be a good idea to brush up on your Spanish! The accommodations will be simple (mostly in hotels), the climate will be hot and humid at times, and the delegation will travel quite a bit, so while all efforts will be made to accommodate people’s physical needs, please consider your physical stamina and capabilities when deciding to apply for this delegation.
In the first week of November, delegates will receive a packet of information with more details about what to expect, what to pack, and how to prepare for the delegation. There will also be two opportunities to meet with other delegates and leaders by video conference before the delegation (dates TBD).
Other deadlines and dates:
- November 1 – We’ll send you an information packet about the delegation
- November 6 – $500 deposit due (non-refundable)
- December 3 – $500 due
- January 3 – $600 (final payment) due
We are working to be able to provide some financial assistance to delegates who need it. If you would like to apply but need financial assistance, please note that in the last question on your application. We will work with all delegates to fundraise if/as needed. Money given toward the on-the-ground expenses (the $1600) are tax deductible.
If you would like to support the delegation with a donation, please do so here.
Are you a delegate ready to make a payment? Please do so here.
Questions? Please email delegation coordinator Vimary Couvertier-Cruz (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call us at 845-786-6743.