January 6-12, 2019
The people in the Migrant Caravan from Central America are seeking safety and security for their families. They can’t find it in their home countries, so they are coming to the United States to petition for asylum. This is their right. Yet our government has sent military troops instead of humanitarian aid to our border. Our government continues to enact policies of exclusion in place of political asylum. Regardless of our government’s actions, our faith calls us to be in solidarity with our siblings seeking refuge in the United States.
The Presbyterian Peace Fellowship is partnering with the New Sanctuary Coalition, a faith-based immigrant rights group led by immigrants. They have set up support on both sides of the San Ysidro border crossing in Southern California; this support effort is called “Sanctuary Caravan.” PPF will go to the border as part of the Sanctuary Caravan January 6-12, 2019.
Dates: January 6-12 (starting in San Diego on the morning of January 7)
Estimated Cost: $300 + travel costs
Goals of this Delegation:
- Witness what is happening at the border
- Accompany people who are migrating as needed (and provide support to the Sanctuary Caravan in other ways needed)
- Discern whether and how PPF might be called to engage in longer-term migrant justice work through accompaniment and/or advocacy and meet potential partners (people and groups)
Anyone committed to nonviolence and the expectations outlined here is welcome!
Expectations of Delegates:
- FLEXIBILITY. The situation on the border changes quickly, and flexibility is key
- Zoom video meeting with other PPF delegates on Friday, January 4 at 8 p.m. Eastern (information to join will be sent out ahead of time)
- Reflect together during the delegation
- Write at least one blog post for the PPF blog during or immediately after the delegation (by January 18)
- Participate in a webinar to share experiences and learnings with wider PPF community, Thursday, January 17 at 8 p.m.
- We hope most delegates will be able to cover their own costs; financial assistance is available and you can indicate a request for financial assistance on the registration form
Logistics for Delegates:
- You must let us know you are going by January 1, 2019
- You must fill out two registration forms: one for the Sanctuary Caravan and the other for PPF
- We will likely be staying at a church, but the exact lodging is still being figured out
- Meals are TBD, but likely a mix of preparing food together, eating with other volunteers, and some low-cost restaurants (there is a place to indicate allergies and restrictions on the registration form)
- Please arrive in San Diego the evening of January 6 and plan to leave the evening of January 12 (or any time on January 13)
- If you are flying, we are working to arrange airport pickups. Please buy your flights before filling out the registration form so you can indicate your arrival time on the form
- We will create a packing list together before we go
- Make your travel arrangements
- Fill out this volunteer form for the Sanctuary Caravan
- Fill out this registration form for PPF
Questions? Email email@example.com